Governmental Resources Regarding Health and Local Updates

Financial Resources

Food Assistance

  • Residents can apply online for SNAP (food stamps)

  • Residents with SNAP may be eligible for a one-time reimbursement for groceries through Expensify.

  • Residents with children enrolled in a CPS school (including CPS charters) can continue to find locations for grab & go meals for each of their children.

  • Residents in Chicago and Suburban Cook County can find nearby food pantries, soup kitchens, and mobile food distribution centers on the Greater Chicago Food Depository’s website.

  • The Greater Chicago Food Depository can also provide assistance registering for SNAP (food stamps) and Medicaid. Residents should call 773-843-5416, or fill out a referral form.

Utility Assistance

  • Utilities statewide have halted electric and gas shut-offs. The Citizens Utility Board has a comprehensive overview of each company’s policy, including information about phone and broadband plans.

    • Comed has suspended disconnects for residential and commercial customers unable to pay their bills and are waiving new late payments charges through at least May 1st. 

      • ComEd will work with customers on a case-by-case basis to establish payment arrangements and will offer flexible payment plans to customers who indicate either an impact or hardship as a result of COVID-19.

    • Peoples Gas has suspended shut-offs for residential and business customers, unless unsafe conditions exist.

      • Peoples Gas is also waiving new late payment charges.

      • If customers are having difficulty paying their bill, Peoples Gas will work with them to arrange a payment plan or discuss financial assistance options. Customers can call 866-556-6001.

  • NicorGas has suspended service disconnections for non-payment, effective immediately for both residential and commercial customers through May 1.

For Residents with Permanent Subsidies

  • If a resident has a resident-based subsidy like a Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) they should immediately contact the agency that provides the subsidy and request an interim recertification of their income if they have lost their job or have had a reduction in income. 

    • If the resident can document loss of income, the housing authority or other agency will reduce the resident’s rent portion and increase the amount of the rent that the agency’s payment will cover.

Source: CIC & The Prevention Compact,