Governmental Resources Regarding Health and Local Updates

Financial Resources

  • If you have lost your job or are experiencing reduced hours due to COVID-19, it is encouraged that you file for unemployment insurance benefits immediately. Please visit for Frequently Asked Questions, video tutorials, and a link to file for unemployment insurance.

  • Indiana 211 is a free service that connects Hoosiers with help and answers from thousands of health and human service agencies and resources right in your local communities - quickly, easily, and confidentially. If you need any kind of assistance, you can dial 2-1-1 to be connected to human services 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

  • Many banks are offering consumer loans to assist their customers in riding this out or waiving interest expenses for late fees. Contact them directly to find out their offerings. It is better to contact your creditors BEFORE your account becomes delinquent.

  • Contact your Township Trustee office to see what assistance they can provide based on your individual situation. This is precisely why Trustees exist for times like these.

  • Requirements have been relaxed for veterans to qualify for awards from the Military Family Relief Fund. Awards in excess of $2,500 may be approved by the IDVA director during the public health emergency. Click here for the application.

  • Residents who are tipped workers or service workers who have lost their job may be eligible to apply for emergency assistance through One Fair Wage’s Emergency Coronavirus Tipped and Service Worker Support Fund

  • Residents can check eligibility and apply online for cash assistance and other assistance programs.

Food Assistance

  • Residents can apply online for SNAP (food stamps)

  • Residents with SNAP may be eligible for a one-time reimbursement for groceries through Expensify.

  • Residents with students aged 18 and under can go to 16 sites throughout Indianapolis to pick up free breakfast and lunch for each of their children.
    Residents can find nearby food pantries and soup kitchens here.

Utility Assistance

  • Utilities statewide have halted electric and gas shut-offs. 

    • IPL has suspended disconnects for residential and commercial customers for non-payment.

    • Citizens Energy Group has suspended shut-offs for residential and business customers.

      • Citizens Energy Group is asking customers whose utility services have been turned off for non-payment to call the utility at (317) 924-3311 to have their service reconnected.

      • Citizens is waiving deposits, late fees and reconnection fees during this period as well.

  • Citizens Energy Group urges customers to utilize the various self-service functions available on its website at

For Residents with Permanent Subsidies

  • If a resident has a resident-based subsidy like a Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) they should immediately contact the agency that provides the subsidy and request an interim recertification of their income if they have lost their job or have had a reduction in income. 

    • If the resident can document loss of income, the housing authority or other agency will reduce the resident’s rent portion and increase the amount of the rent that the agency’s payment will cover.

Source: CIC & The Prevention Compact,